🏛 Stoas near [[@agora/2020 10 03]]
📚 Node [[2020-10-03]]
↳ 📓 Resource [[@agora/2020 10 03]]
I did end up ordering a Mac Mini as a new home desktop PC, so now I need to order RAM
- I got the higher end model and bumped the processor to the 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7, but everything else base -- 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD.
- I had previously Sept 26th, 2020 looked up OWC RAM, and I can order direct from them. Are there local places in Vancouver? Listed as resellers, dmac don't list the 2018/2020 Mac Mini and Simply doesn't seem to list the right RAM either.
- Why don't small businesses keep their websites up to date???
- OK, guess I order direct from OWC, Total cost was $258CAD including shipping and duties.
- OWC have one eGPU enclosure, the AKiTiO Node Titan (as well as bundles that include AMD graphics cards). I haven't done any research on eGPUs yet, other than noting that Apple had the Blackmagic eGPU available for sale from them directly.
External storage is a whole other thing. I looked up the Filecoin guide to storage mining and basically you need a $3KUSD AMD machine at a minimum to do mining. Just syncing the Filecoin blockchain (which I do want to experiment with), needs 12GB per week:
If you don’t wish to mine, but would still like to run the Lotus client for the purposes of keeping a wallet or interfacing with the network, a system with 2-4 CPU cores, 8GiB of RAM, and enough storage for the Filecoin blockchain should be sufficient (the current testnet chain grows at about 12GiB per week; improvements to reduce this storage requirement are ongoing).
- Like I said, researching the right combination of external enclosures and drives and such is for another time. I've never really stored a lot of media on drives / at home.
- Biked over to Hinge Park and hung out with @cambel and @catthekin:
- Messed around with a Fission timing log of publishing this site.
- Path of Exile now has a MacOS client! 26GB download, and hard to find the links required.
"The news part of the Fediverse"
Also @firstname.lastname@example.org is adding Indymedia-like features to Epicyon.
This is exciting
ActivityPub but for economic activities
Watched @email@example.com 's video on CommonsPub. Great project in general, particularly looking forward to Bread.Pub and Bonfire.
Along with the decentralised news, I think 'ActivityPub but for economic activities' is the other exciting Fediverse direction for me right now. Like ValueFlows, and again @firstname.lastname@example.org building sharing economy things into Epicyon.