🏛 Stoas near [[@agora/2020 11 08]]
📚 Node [[2020-11-08]]
↳ 📓 Resource [[@agora/2020 11 08]]
Went for a bike ride in the morning. Super sunny day, but also cold. Vancouver winters have been getting brighter -- but also colder. Need a balaclava as the final piece of my biking gear, to cover my ears and neck.
Just spent 30 minutes setting up a UPS Payment Account in order to attempt to pay a bill online for customs brokerage fees. There is a 10-digit account number on the invoice, but of course clicking between the different options, the maximum is for a 9-digit account number (and that's some sort of special account?). UPS Canada, a paper invoice with a tear off, suggesting I stick a paper cheque in postal mail, is not going to work well for me OR you.
I am now using the chezmoi dotfiles manager. I've currently got my dotfiles on Github but private, I should open them up. I am trawling through walkah's dotfiles who is busy going down the Nix rabbit hole.
Cleaned up the office today, still stuff to get rid of, but especially with Province of BC announcing no social gatherings, it means the "Zoom room" here is going to be where I'm going to be spending a lot of time.
The clean up was in part because of getting the Amazon order from [yesterday]((Unsupported content elided by the Agora.)) -- webcam, torx screwdrivers, and the PowerColor graphics card. Now I'm just waiting for the Razer Core X Chroma eGPU enclosure.
Maybe I'll install the 32GB memory upgrade for the Mac Mini? Surprise! Once again the kit I ordered doesn't have the correct T6S (or H or R -- the "security" one with the hole in the middle) torx screwdriver. Aaarggghhhh!
Screenshot from the OWC Mac Mini Memory Upgrade video of where I'm stuck -- can't even get the bottom plate off without the right T6 "Secure" screwdriver!
![Screenshot of OWC mac mini memory how to -- bottom of mac mini, badge with T6 screwdriver icon]((Unsupported content elided by the Agora.))
Now I'm futzing with the setup of my notes / blog here. Using VS Code directly seems to make the most sense for me. I am "using" Foam and still figuring out how I want the various plugins setup. I turned off the Gray Matter theme, didn't quite work for me.
The author of the Markdown Notes VS Code plugin, Andrew Kortina, writes up how he has VS Code configured. I'm trying out the Tomorrow Night Theme, including some of the tweaks that Kortina uses, plus the tips on changing formats in VS Code.
Trying plan/reality again today.
- Met arghzero.
- Slept very badly due to ocell. I hope it was just because it was her first night with us :)
- Spent two-three hours refactoring agora-server. It's unfortunately now half broken, but it almost supports subnodes, user listings, and has the beginning of a proper graph data structure. I hope to fix it and ship it as v0.5b 2020-11-09.
- Book meeting with evanward97.
- Check out references by neil (see 2020-11-07).
- Review 2020-11-07 for other pending tasks that didn't make it to a longer term todo.
- Work on the agora plan, in particular multiplayer.
I've been reading through Ton's articles on his PKM system. Ton's PKM. It's of great interest to me because I really respect Ton's views, and I'm keen to see where it might help me reflect on my own system. Ton tries to avoid silos and lock-in, and has recently been able to move much of his system to plain-text and Obsidian, and I think many of the methods would translate to org-mode, if I wanted them to. Thanks Ton for sharing it in such detail. https://www.zylstra.org/blog/2020/10/100-days-in-obsidian-pt-1/
- Will take me a while to read and digest all of it, but I think there's many tips I can pick up.
I want to rekindle my graphical weeknotes, after Kicks made a mention of them. I really liked the end result of those. It was just hard work keeping it up.
- I either need to streamline the process, or make it a dedicated labour of love. I don't have much time for labours of love right now, so streamlining the process might be needed.
- Pipeline: recent changes, day logs -> textual week log -> diagram.
For the diagram, I'm thinking I might try to use something like PlantUML or mermaid.
- Cons: It'll look kind of shitty, regimented and not so fun.
Pros: It'll (probably) be quicker than mucking about in LibreOffice.
- PlantUML is something that'll be useful for me to get familiar with for work.
- Something like impress.js might be alright too.
Glitch Feminism sounds good. "Our software and our wetware are constantly glitching. How could it be otherwise? Rather than try for perfect order, let’s embrace the glitch and find out how else it all could play out." https://www.versobooks.com/books/3668-glitch-feminism
I like Ton's terminology of notes and notions. Notes being a bit more reference/factual, notions being ones own personal ideas. 100 Days in Obsidian Pt 4: Writing Notes – Interdependent Thoughts
- for reading through articles and taking literature notes, I think I will have a subfolder.
Also the idea of emergent outlines for creating new content. (Speculative outlines in Sonke Ahrens terminology).