🏛 Stoas near [[@agora/2022 05 16]]
📚 Node [[2022-05-16]]
↳ 📓 Resource [[@agora/2022 05 16]]
Sunday didn't go according to plan w.r.t. pomodoros and such, but I am OK with how it turned up anyway.
- Did laundry.
- Helped a social coop user recover an account, and started a proposal for simplifying onboarding to the instance.
- Had coffee with our neighbors.
- Met my brother and we had a long conversation.
- Then I had a conversation with my mother.
- Then I caught up a bit (not completely) with friends online.
- TODO review/respond to https://melanocarpa.lesarbr.es/hypha/interwiki_for_agora
TODO opt in flow for hashtags in agora bot
- starting with twitter
TODO make some progress on agora scaling, shamanic agora
- honestly podman looks like fun, just give it a shot for one pomodoro and see what happens :)
- big week at work, need to make some progress on a launch / give a presentation / send out a document for review. will try leave everything that needs to happen this week in decently 'ready' state by EOD today, Monday.
- Eating plants is a lot of work, because it takes a longer digestive system to process cellulose and plant toxins, whereas an animal is a high-energy package. Scavenging is easier than predation, but there is more competition for scavenging, since the high-energy package is not putting up a fight. The cheapest prey to predate on is whichever prey would soonest die- either because they are young and not well-protected, or they are injured, old, and otherwise at risk of soon starving.
The first step for a predator is finding prey- to know that prey is present in a space, and then to know exactly where in that space the prey is. For the prey, it just has to know that there is a predator, and the rough direction the predator is in, so it can flee. Higher variability in its escape, that comes from not knowing exactly where the predator is, can help with the escape. Attack and escape are high-energy actions, so they must make a decision about whether to attack or escape. If a predator doesn't know exactly where prey is, it makes more sense for that prey to simply stay still, since many predators rely on movement to locate prey.
- The moment that the predator closes distance to catch the prey is where a lot of adaptations are funneled. This moment requires a lot of speed. Speed requires simplicity. Simplicity results in a sort of rigidity, which means that a lot of high speed attacks and escapes are predictable.
- Many animals in the middle of the food chain, who deal with both predators and prey, use methods of escape for attack, since it's energetically cheaper to use the same adaptation where possible. However, since escape requires volatility and attack requires precision, these are often less fitting than an adaptation for attack.
- For escape, chaos is necessary. For attack, precision targeting is necessary.
- Agriculture arose only after there was enough carbon in the atmosphere to support it. Hunter gatherers knew about agriculture but explicitly did not pursue it
- Societies tend to evolve to avoid war