🏛 Stoas near [[@agora/2023 08 05]]
📚 Node [[2023-08-05]]
↳ 📓 Resource [[@agora/2023 08 05]]
- Saturday, 08/05/23 ** 19:01 Thinking about personal style again.
I want to feel:
- A treasure trove of info, this podcast.
Listened: Microdose: Californian Capitalism
- Interesting interview with Malcolm Harris about his Palo Alto book.
- In one part he questions some of the narrative of The Californian Ideology, would be interesting to follow up on that.
Bookmarked: Class Warfare in the Information Age
- Written in 1998, but looks pretty prescient…
- "In the future, Perelman argues, it will still become a class-based privilege to access and afford information, and the rights of individuals will disintegrate as the power of the corporate sector grows."
Reclaim Roundup: August 2023
- Probably need another name - Reclaim Hosting uses 'Reclaim roundup'.
- I changed it to: Reclaiming the stacks: August 2023 roundup
- AI driving the manufacture of a shit-ton of hardware. And the negative environmental impact associated with that.
- Not really a secret - they use a vast amount of energy. And this is set to increase as they get integrated into search engines.
- Good right to repair news - progress on battery removability and availability. Though still lacking on the affordability of repair.
- Similarly to Microsoft (Microsoft's dirty supply chain is holding back its climate ambitions), Meta has huge emissions, most of which are scope 3 (i.e. from it's ecosystem and supply chain), and apparently it doesn't know what to do about them. Couple of ideas: (a) consider degrowth; (b) use your considerable clout on your supply chain, rather than pretending that you are helpless to do anything about it.